Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Arizona State University (1989).
- Professor and Vice Chair for Research, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 2012-2018, Secretary/Treasure, International Society of Hypnosis
- 2003, APA Division 30 Award for Best Clinical Paper: Hypnosis for Clinical Pain
- 2004, Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis Roy M. Dorcas Award for Best Clinical Paper: Hypnosis and Clinical Pain
- 2005, Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis Presidential Commendation for Public Education
- 2008, American Society of Clinical Hypnosis Award of Merit, “…for extensive and ongoing research into chronic pain and the use of hypnosis in its treatment.”
- 2009, American Society of Clinical Hypnosis Clark L. Hull Award for Scientific Excellent in Writing on Experimental Hypnosis.
- 2010-Present, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Pain.
- 2011 Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis Arthur Shapiro Award for Best Book on Hypnosis, for Hypnosis for Chronic Pain Management: Therapist Guide.
- 2012, American Psychological Association Division 30 Award for Distingished Contributions to Scientific Hypnosis.
- 2014, American Pain Society Wilbert E. Fordyce Clinical Investigator Award.
- 2015, International Society of Hypnosis Jay Haley Early Career Award.
- 2016, Fellow, American Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis.
- 2016, Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis Hilgard Award for Best Theoretical Paper.
- 2018, American Psychological Association Division 30 Award for Distinguished Contributions for Professional Hypnosis.
- 2018-Present, President-Elect, International Society of Hypnosis
Author of over 500 articles and chapters, many on the efficacy and mechanisms of hypnosis treatments.
Author of Hypnosis for chronic pain management: Therapist guide, published by Oxford University Press.
Author of Hypnosis for chronic pain management: Workbook, published by Oxford University Press.
Editor of The art and practice of hypnotic induction: Favorite methods of master clinicians, published by Denny Creek Press.
Popular workshop facilitator on the use of hypnosis for (1) pain and symptom management and (2) patient empowerment for achieving health goals.